4x4: Toshiba Unveils Four 4G WiMax Ready Laptops
Toshiba today rolled out a set of four 4G WiMax-ready laptops, designed to give consumers broader wireless coverage all over town, not just at wireless hotspots.
“A WiMAX-equipped laptop gives on-the-go consumers the connection speeds they’re used to in the office or at home without the need for additional hardware,” said Carl Pinto, vice president of product development for Toshiba.
WiMax offers Internet connections over large areas and is an alternative to GSM and CDMA cell phone technologies. It is often confused with Wi-Fi , which provides an Internet connection over a very short distance, like between a computer and a home wireless router, and then connects to a DSL or cellular service for the long range connection.
Sprint and Clearwire formed a partnership to develop the necessary infrastructure to provide 4G/WiMax coverage in the U.S. 4G/WiMAX is currently available in 54 U.S. cities including Seattle, Chicago and Orlando. The service will be available in New York City, Los Angeles, the San Francisco Bay Area, Denver, Minneapolis, Miami, Cincinnati, Cleveland and Pittsburgh by the end of this year, offering coverage to about 120 million people, according to the company. Sprint currently offers an unlimited 4G broadband plan for $50 per month.
- The Satellite A665: The 16-inch Satellite has an HD widescreen display, souped up audio package with the capability to play music without powering up the laptop. Choose from Intel's Core processors. Optional NVIDIA GeForce graphics card available for gamers. Prices start at $804.99.
- Satellite M645: The 14-inch Satellite is a more portable lightweight version of the A665. With the same Intel processor options, prices start at $759.99.
- Portégé R705: The ultra-portable Portégé weighs in at three pound, is less than an inch thick and has a battery life of eight and a half hours, the longest of Toshiba's WiMax laptops. The Portégé has built-in wireless display technology to wirelessly connect the laptop to a big screen HDTV. Price is $899.99.
- Satellite E205: Only available at Best Buy , the 14-inch laptop comes configured with an Intel Core i5 processor, NVIDIA GeForce 310M graphics processing unit, backlit keyboard and the wireless display feature for HDTV connection. Ideal for gamers. Price is $1,079.99.
Toshiba’s WiMAX enabled laptops will be available on Sept. 26, 2010 at select retailers. Look for the "Satellite" logo on the device for easy WiMax identification.
- How 4G Works
- Intel Reveals the Future of Technology and It's Curiously Friendly
- 8 Cool Science Projects That Can Run on Your Home Computer